Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy
Online Courses in Classical Tibetan, Colloquial Tibetan, Modern Literary Tibetan & Reading Buddhist Texts in Tibetan
Private Courses & Group Courses
- We hold Tibetan language courses in both private classes (for individual students) and group classes (for groups of 3 or more students).
- Private courses are charged at the rate of USD $30 dollars per hour (approx. €25.9 Euros/hour).
- Group courses are charged at the rate of USD $15 dollars per hour (approx. €12.9 Euros/hour).
- For more about the prices of our courses, see the Course Fees & Payment Information page.
Trusted & Acclaimed Instruction
- The Tibetan courses provided by Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy are the highest quality available for modern students seeking comprehensive online tutoring in all aspects of the language (Classical, Colloquial, Modern Literary and Dharma Tibetan).
- Our instruction is considered to be among the most effective in Tibetan language education.
- To read what our students have to say about our courses, see the Student Testimonials page.
Something for Everyone
- The courses offered by Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy are perfect for students with all kinds of learning goals.
- Our courses lead to fluency and literacy in Classical, Colloquial and Modern Literary Tibetan.
- Courses are available in a wide variety of different subjects, are customized and personalized to meet the particular needs of students, and can accommodate all levels of language proficiency.
- For more about our full range of Tibetan language courses, see Course Listing: Current Catalogue and Course Descriptions.
Humbly serve the Tibetan language, genuinely study the Tibetan language, and sincerely teach the Tibetan language to the people of this world.
– The Credo of Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy
Our mission is to help dedicated students of Tibetan around the world attain their learning goals, spread awareness about Tibetan culture and literature, and promote Tibetan language around the world.
Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy
We offer the best online courses in Tibetan available to modern students, with the highest quality of language instruction available in Tibetan education.
Study Tibetan with Erick Tsiknopoulos, an experienced translator, interpreter, author, Dharma scholar-practitioner and specialist in Buddhist texts, with a background of over 17 years of Tibetan study and 11 years of Tibetan immersion in South Asia.
Receive direct guidance in all aspects of the language, including Classical, Colloquial & Modern Literary Tibetan.
Experience personalized, one-on-one classes under the tutelage of a bilingual native English speaker who is fluent and fully literate in Tibetan.
Group Courses are held on a regular basis every year, in Fall, Winter and Spring Group Course Sessions.
In addition, all of our private courses are also available as group courses (for 3 or more students).
Courses in Reading Buddhist Texts in Tibetan are also offered.
Get in touch!
Messenger (WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, Discord):
+40 769 824 828
Why Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy?
There are many reasons to study with us!
- Study Tibetan language online with a professional Tibetan translator and long-time Buddhist scholar, who can clearly explain Tibetan vocabulary and grammatical structures in fluent English.
- Become literate in Classical Tibetan, and learn how to read and pronounce Classical Tibetan texts properly.
- Learn how to speak contemporary colloquial Tibetan in an authentic manner, according to the most widely understood standard dialect, Central Tibetan (Ü-Tsang).
- Review a particular Tibetan text in detail, with a recognized expert in the field.
- Receive a comprehensive overview of a specific Tibetan text, according to linguistic or doctrinal analysis.
- Learn how to read Tibetan Dharma texts, including your favorite teachings and practices.
Deepen your studies
with Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy.
Experience personalized learning sessions under the guidance of Erick Tsiknopoulos, a seasoned Tibetan translator and scholar of Buddhist texts.
Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy provides powerfully effective online education experience for students of all levels. Our mission is to help students of Tibetan language attain their language learning goals.
How it’s done
- Students study directly with the teacher in online sessions.
- Classes are held live with the teacher via audio and/or video call.
- Connection methods for the classes are WhatsApp, Google Duo, Zoom, Skype, Jitsi, Telegram and Signal. Students may choose from any of these methods according to their needs and preference. The teacher will provide you with the relevant contact details.
- Group courses are also available. Please see Tibetan Group Courses: Schedule & Registration for more info.
- English and Tibetan are the mediums of instruction.
Who the teacher is
- Erick Tsiknopoulos, a specialist in Tibetan translation and language teaching, has been studying Tibetan since 2004, translating Tibetan texts, orally interpreting for lamas and teaching Tibetan professionally since 2008, and instructing students online since 2011.
- He studied classical, colloquial & modern literary Tibetan language, literature and Buddhism within an immersive native environment in the Tibetan communities of India and Nepal for 11 years (2009-2019).
- In 2020 he founded Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy, and now devotes much of his time to teaching enthusiastic students around the world. He is now focusing his efforts on developing effective educational literature, including writing new Tibetan language textbooks.
How our courses are taught
- Having spent 11 years in the Himalayan region studying Tibetan language, literature and Buddhist philosophy while living in the Tibetan communities of the Himalayan region from 2008 to 2019, Erick Tsiknopoulos offers students rare insights into not only the Tibetan language itself, but also its cultural background.
- Our courses explore topics and introduce material which is often relatively overlooked or even unknown outside the Tibetan communities themselves. These include the cultural, social, symbolic, mythical, historical and psychological dimensions of Tibetan.
- By drawing upon these first-hand experiences, he employs a distinctive cross-cultural teaching approach which is bilingual in nature, and adapted for English-speaking students.
- Being familiar with most topics in Tibetan Buddhist philosophy, scriptural doctrine, he explains Tibetan texts to his students by way of both linguistic analysis and traditional Buddhist commentary. In this way, the literary meaning of each text is ascertained with reference to its specific context.
- Based on both modern Western academic and traditional Tibetan scholastic models of pedagogy and textual exegesis, his teaching methodology is unique, adaptable, inventive and well-suited to the needs of students in the modern world.
- This includes hermeneutic analysis and philosophical, historical and cultural commentary, contextualized within the broader spectrum of Buddhist and Asian Studies.
What we study
- Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy offers a wide variety of Tibetan courses, in numerous subjects and for students of all levels.
- Courses are focused, but flexible by design. Every Tibetan course is specifically designed to suit each student’s personal learning goals.
- Students can choose to focus on Classical Tibetan, Colloquial Spoken Tibetan, Modern Literary Tibetan or Reading Buddhist Texts in Tibetan as their main subject of study.
These four subjects can also be taught in combination (depending on the course).
- Courses on several other topics are also offered and are available upon request.
- Colloquial Tibetan courses are available in two different dialects:
1) Ü-Tsang Dialect (Central Tibetan)
2) Exile Dialect (Refugee Tibetan)
- Interdisciplinary Tibetan Studies courses are available, which consist of 3 different concentrations:
1) Classical Tibetan Literacy & Digital Research Methods
2) Colloquial Tibetan Fluency & Contemporary Idioms
3) Modern Literary Tibetan Reading Skills & News Media
- Group courses are available on a regular basis every year. Group course sessions are offered in the Winter, Spring and Fall.
- Group courses are held in several subjects, including Classical Tibetan, Colloquial Tibetan, Modern Literary Tibetan and Reading Buddhist Texts in Tibetan.
- Group courses are offered in progressive sequence, so that students may choose courses which match their appropriate proficiency level and continue their studies.
- Please see Online Tibetan Group Courses: Schedule & Registration for more information on group courses.
Tibetan Translator Training
- Tibetan Translator Training Courses are specialized programs designed to teach aspiring translators how to translate Tibetan texts into English and other languages.
- These courses aim to help authentically train a new generation of Tibetan translators, by providing students with a firm foundation in Tibetan translation theory and technique.
- Available in 3 separate areas of specialization, each focusing on a different skillset:
1) Textual Translation
2) Oral Interpretation
3) English to Tibetan Literary Translation
Special Studies in Tibetan Texts
- Students may choose to study specific Tibetan texts in private classes, including advanced Dharma teachings, philosophical treatises or modern literary works.
- The most popular special reading courses are those focused on Tibetan texts which are relevant to the student’s personal studies, research, academic work or spiritual practice.
Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy maintains the professional standards of student-first education.
What does it mean to be student-first?
- Classes are scheduled to ensure convenient class times that work for every student, regardless of their time zone.
- Individual consultations are held with every new or prospective student to learn about their personal language goals, and structure the course curriculum in order to help them accomplish their own study aims, free of charge.
- Homework is only assigned that is specifically useful for achieving fluency and literacy in Tibetan as fast as possible, as supported by leading research on second-language acquisition. As the Buddha always reminds us, chos thams-cad mi-rtag-pa yin — “All phenomena are impermanent”. Serious students of Tibetan must therefore focus their efforts on the learning resources which are most efficient, not busywork.
- Special attention is given to students whose native language is not English, and help with English translation from Tibetan is also provided in relevant cases.
General Guidelines for Classes
with the Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy
- Connection methods used for classes are WhatsApp, Jitsi, Google Duo, Zoom, Telegram, Signal and Skype. Students may choose from any of these methods, according to their needs and preference. The teacher will provide you with the relevant contact details.
- The teacher is located in the Eastern European Time Zone (EETZ). Therefore, students should adjust their schedules accordingly in order to match their current local time with Eastern European Time (EET). Please check online for time zone difference.
- Working hours for Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy are 12 pm to 12 am (noon to midnight), Monday through Friday, Eastern European Time (EET). Classes are usually scheduled only within this timeframe. Some exceptions may be granted upon request.
- For private courses, class scheduling is arranged between teacher and student. Meeting times for classes are agreed upon by both parties.
- Time zone differences between the student’s time zone and the Eastern European Time Zone (EETZ) must be taken into consideration before scheduling.
- The duration of a regular class is generally either 1 hour (60 minutes) or 2 hours (120 minutes).
- Students may choose to study for 2 hours in each class session. Please let the teacher know if you’d like to do 2-hour classes instead of 1 hour. Fees are adjusted accordingly.
- Classes sometimes run overtime by 5-15 minutes. Please state your preferences regarding the exact duration of each class.
- Extra time exceeding the scheduled class time is recorded, and counted toward the total amount of hours for each course.
- Private classes are held 1 to 5 times per week. The minimum is 1 class per week and the maximum is 5 classes per week.
- For private classes, 2 to 3 classes per week is recommended for most students, in order to maintain more continuity and regularity in one’s study. Most students choose to schedule 2 or 3 classes per week, and sometimes 4 or 5 per week.
- Group classes are held 1 or 2 times per week. Each group class session is either 1 or 2 hours in length.
- English and Tibetan are the languages of instruction. Erick Tsiknopoulos able to teach in the Tibetan language itself, teaching classes in Colloquial Tibetan, if desired or applicable. The vast majority of students choose to study in the medium of English. Tibetan language medium is generally for advanced students who already have a strong grasp of Colloquial Tibetan, or else those who would like to learn Colloquial Tibetan in a more immersive way in the context of a class setting.
- Trikāya Tibetan Language Academy does not discriminate based on factors such as age, nationality, ethnicity or religion.
- Students of all ages, and from all cultural backgrounds, are welcome to join our courses.
- Non-Buddhists and followers of other religions are also most welcome!